I have spent lot of time thinking over following issues.
- Should we at all define any ultimate goal of our life?
- Is it possible to define an ultimate goal of our life?
- If at all we decide that we should define an ultimate goal of our life, how we should go about to finalize the ultimate goal of our life?
- May we call a goal the ultimate goal of our life even if we have to change it from time to time?
Surely we should have some ultimate goal in our life – a goal that would give us the satisfaction in our life that we have done something noteworthy in our life.
Actually to do something noteworthy itself be the criterion of deciding what may be the ultimate goal of our life.
I am already 78 years old and if I ask myself, “Have I done anything noteworthy in my life?’. I get an answer,”No”.
We live our life but once.
So it is necessary that we leave behind some mark on the earth for the people to remember us for whatever god we may have done to have made the earth a better place to live for the next generations.
If I ask myself, “Have I done anything of the sort that would have made the earth a better place in any way?”.
I know, I haven’t.
I may have achieved some short term goals but they were by no means ultimate goals of my life.
I thought of the people who get Nobel Prize or an Oscar Award. Had any of them made it an ultimate goal of life to win a Nobel Prize or an Oscar Award?
I also thought,”Would any one of them have thought, they had made the earth a better place to live?”
It may have been an achievement for them but such achievements do not necessarily make the earth a better place to live.
But we can make the earth a better place to live in many ways.
Do you think to lead a happy life may be the ultimate goal of our life?
The fact is everybody has to etch out an ultimate goal of his or her life depending on his or her own specific skills and capabilities.
It looked as if all of us may not have same ultimate goal of our life.
I knew my limitations. For instance, I knew – I could have not invented something new that would have made Earth a better place to live but I also knew that there should be some other avenues of making the Earth a better place to live which I could have sworn.
So I started looking for the things I could do to make the Earth a better place to live because it was no use having framed an Ultimate Goal only to be hung on a wall as a show piece.
Since I had already written a book titled “Productivity Management : Concepts and Techniques” which had been published by TATA McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi in the year 1991, it clicked to me – why not write some books that should help out those who may read them, lead a far less messier life than they would lead otherwise.
Having set the motive of writing my further books, I wrote following books one after another – all with my short name “S C Sawhney”.
- Taking a Lesson from the Mistakes of Others published by University Science Press (An Imprint of Laxmi Publications Pvt. Ltd.), New Delhi) in the year 2012.
- Existence of God published by Partridge India (A Penguin Random House Company) in February, 2016.
- The Mathematics of Uncertainties published by notionpress.com, Chennai (India) in August, 2016.
I think our ultimate goal should be to spend our life in a manner that we may leave some legacy behind us for the benefit of others.